Tyre FAQs

Got a question regarding the best way to care for your tyres? Have a read through our FAQs below, or get in touch with Universal Tyres today if your query is not covered.

What is the Correct Pressure for my Tyres?

Correct tyre pressure is important not only for safety, but also for fuel efficiency. It is measured in Bar, as well as pounds square inch (PSI), and you can find the correct information for your vehicle in the manufacturer’s handbook. In many cars, these details are also inside the rim of the driver’s door (and sometimes on the petrol cap).

What is my Tyre Size?

This information is important when booking a tyre change, and can be found in either the vehicle manufacturer’s handbook or on the sidewall of your existing tyres.

What is the Legal Minimum Tread Depth for Vehicle Tyres?

By law, car tyres must have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm throughout the central 75% of the tyre (the tread pattern must be visible in the remaining 25%). For motorcycles, the minimum is 1.0mm throughout the central 75%.

What is the Penalty for Unroadworthy Tyres?

If your vehicle’s tyres are deemed unroadworthy – whether through insufficient tread depth, visible damage or incompatibility with the vehicle – you could be in line for a fine of up to £2,500 and 3 penalty points on your licence. This is applied per tyre, not per vehicle.

If your car’s tyres are unsuitable, it will not pass its MOT.

How often do I need to Change my Tyres?

There are a lot of factors in determining how often car, van or motorcycle tyres need changing, based on regularity of use, driving conditions and more. The safest approach is to inspect your tyres every month for signs of wear and tear, and replace them before they become unsafe.

Seasonal conditions are also a consideration that must be made when it comes to tyre changes. Universal Tyres stock a large selection of winter tyres, and are on hand to provide advice as to the best time to switch.

What are the Dangers of Driving on Worn Tyres?

It’s not just the legal issues (mentioned above) that can be a problem when driving on worn out tyres. Insufficient tread depth also affects braking distance – a particular danger on icier roads – while a tyre not inflated to the correct pressure can impact on fuel efficiency and handling ability.

How does Incorrect Wheel Alignment Affect Tyres?

Wheel alignment ensures that a vehicle’s wheels are set to the angle of the manufacturer’s specification at all times. Incorrect wheel alignment can increase tyre wear, as well as causing the vehicle to “pull” to one side while driving.

Universal Tyres use some of the latest wheel alignment technologies and fully trained technicians to ensure that your vehicle runs true and is safely set up to get the best ride quality and tyre wear longevity possible.

What Vehicles are Catered for by Universal Tyres?

We stock a wide range of tyres for all cars, 4x4s, motorcycles and vans, including branded and budget tyres to suit all needs. We can provide winter tyres for increased safety and handling in the colder months.

Do I need to bring my Vehicle into the Garage for a Tyre Fitting?

In a lot of cases, Universal Tyres can come directly to wherever your vehicle is located with our mobile tyre fitting service, offering maximum convenience. Take a look at our branch locator to find out where our mobile tyre fitting is provided.

Universal Tyres supply and fit tyres for vehicles across London and the South East. We have a wide range of high quality tyres to suit all budgets, and provide mobile tyre fitting available at selected branches, so get in touch with Universal Tyres today to find out more.

Book in for your tyre check Find your nearest autocentre »

Our Other Services Include:

We can service every make & model of car & van

Emergency Tyre Fitting Service

find your local mobile tyre fitting service Find your local branch